ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING 19 AUGUST 2015
The annual general meeting provides a point in our busy year to reflect on the year past and its highlights. For Liberation Larder in 2014-15 there were many high points. Briefly….
- The partnership with Fridays on the Beach to sell furnishings at the end of trading yielded in excess of $20,000 for our food program.
- The successful application to the NRCF provided funds to expand our Larder Connect Program. We were able to purchase a new freezer to store meals at Brunswick Community Centre. Currently we provide an outreach service to Brunswick each Friday where people can get bread, fresh produce, some dry goods and takeaway meals.
- Liberation Larder has partnered with the major festivals in our shire this year to rescue any excess food from vendors and caterers. The outcome has been staggering, 2000kgs. of edible food rescued from Falls Festival and 4000 kgs. from the Splendour Festival. This food was distributed through the Larder food program to people in need throughout the shire and shared with other food providers.
- There have been many smaller festivals and events that have donated their excess food to the Larder kitchen, most recently the Blue Grass & Barbcue Festival Bangalow, Music Festival Bangalow, Billy Cart Derby Bangalow.
- Local businesses have continued to provide weekly contributions to the kitchen from their excess produce. It is because of their generosity that Liberation Larder can exist. Thank you to the stallholders at the Byron Farmers Market, Heart & Halo, Byron Gourmet Pies, Byron Health Foods, Scratch Patissiere, Source, Fruitos, Blue Bay Gourmet, Horizon Foods, Top Shop, Santos, Peace Love & Vegetables, Munch Crunch Organics, Harvest, Uncle Toms Pies, Red Ginger, The Farm, Sunrise Bakery, Woolworths Byron Bay, Brookfarm, Byron Bay Handimart, Fundies , Bay Seafood Market.
- Our partnerships with local services have been important throughout the year. Thank you to Byron Community Centre, Mullum Food Box, Byron Herb Nursery, Byron Womens Refuge,Brunswick Community Centre, Mullumbimby Community Centre, Byron Community Benefits Committee.
- The ability to provide place based services to people at Larder in recent months has been an important milestone this year. Thank you to everyone involved in the Case Management Service, Legal Outreach Service and Mental Health Outreach Service.
It is only possible to provide 600 meals a week & rescue tons of food because of our dedicated volunteers.
- Thank you to the outgoing committee for your contribution to the smooth running of Liberation Larder although often unnoticed it is appreciated. Thank you Cath Garvan, Liz Jackson, Betty Sternberg, Alice Jarvis and Roland Dickson.
- Thank you to Richard Turner and our Garden Crew for tending our verge gardens and providing nutritious, fresh produce for the kitchen every week.
- Thank you to the drivers who collect produce all over the shire throughout the week, Pamela Gornal, Katy Berensten, Hannah Reid, Roland Dickson, Mary Alderman.
- Thank you to Head Chef, Cec Young and our kitchen crews who prepare and serve delicious and nutritious meals every week.
- Thank you to Marie Whealing and the outreach crew at Brunswick Community Centre on Fridays, providing food to go with a cuppa and kind words.
- Thank you to our coordinators for keeping us on track. Thank you to Cath Garvin, Roland Dickson, Betty Sterberg, Carole Gray, Marie Whealing and Lynda Dean.